As people continue to use multiple devices and become increasingly attached to their phones, advertisers are having a difficult time capturing users' attention. In fact, a recent study completed by Google and Ispos confirms that:
- 3x more likely to pay attention to online video ads vs. television ads. 1
- Within online video, people pay nearly 2x more attention to video ads on YouTube than they do on other social media. 2
- That’s because on YouTube, and people are more likely to arrive with intent to watch video — 2X more likely than other online platforms. 3
Need help capturing attention? YouTube just announced four new tools to improve your game on YouTube:
1) Reaching the Right Audiences
Google has found that campaigns that use intent-based audiences on mobile have 20% higher ad recall lift and 50% higher brand awareness lift relative to campaigns that only use demographic audiences. 4
In order to help you deliver more relevant, you can now use to reach people based on the kind of searches they do, or the kind of places and apps they like.
2) Custom Creative at Scale
YouTube is launching Director Mix to simplify the process of creating different versions of the same creative tailored for each audience — you supply the building blocks of your video ad, like different voiceovers, background and copy, and their system will create thousands of versions to match your various audience segments.
3) Telling a Story
Similarly, YouTube introduced Video Ad Sequencing to help you architect an ad experience that unfolds over time. This new feature lets you string together ad creative. You can pivot, you can react—and you can take consumers down a different path depending on which ads are working for them.
For instance, you could start with a fifteen-second TrueView ad to build awareness, continue with another, longer spot that communicates product attributes, then follow with a six-second bumper ad to keep top-of-mind and drive to purchase.
4) Measuring Sales Lift
YouTube is rolling out a new, global approach to measuring sales lift with Nielsen MPA (Matched Panel Analysis). This geo-based solution offers a fast, media-agnostic way to determine which online ads drive offline sales. With this implementation of Nielsen MPA, CPG clients can measure video alongside other Google media.
From looking at the Nielsen MPA studies we’ve run to-date, Google found that YouTube drove sales lift for the advertised product in 14 of 19 studies globally. 5
Google also expanded its offering in the US to include six-second bumper ads so that brands can more comprehensively measure their YouTube campaigns.
YouTube's aim is to show ads that are relevant and useful so that instead of interrupting people’s viewing experiences, you’re enhancing them. This means matching what advertisers have to offer with what people are interested in—leading to a better YouTube experience backed up by comprehensive user controls.
Blog originally posted by Diya Jolly, Director Product Management, YouTube & Video Monetization
1. Source: Google/Ipsos, Video Mobile Diary, US, 2017, n of 4,381 (saw ads occasions). Online video includes video platforms such as YouTube & Hulu, social platforms such as Facebook & Snapchat and TV Full Episode Players like NBC.com.
2. Source: Nielsen Consumer Neuroscience, Video Ad Cross-Platform Biometrics Research commissioned by Google. Conducted in the US using 8 advertisements, 4 platforms and 400 participants, 18-35 year olds, Nielsen CNS Lab, Boston, US 2016
3. Source: Google/Ipsos, Video Mobile Diary, US, 2017 (n of 18,219 total video occasions)
4. Source: Google Brand Lift Targeting Analysis October 2016 - March 2017, Global, Smartphone, numbers shown represent relative difference between additive lifts of intent targeted and demo targeted campaigns, i.e. the former had Brand Awareness lift 1.5x the latter.
5. Source: Commissioned Nielsen Matched Panel Analysis – 19 studies on YouTube from 2016-2017 across 6 countries; Lift based on at least one of multiple tested strategies with significance >80%